Tuesday 23 June 2009

Its Batty

At about 10pm last night was looking skyward watching bats flitting overhead when I realised that something had flown past at head height just behind me. Turned to see a Barn Owl flying directly away. Watched it cross the next field and over the hedge. So into the car and parked up alongside where I thought it may be but no sign. However whilst watching I spotted another owl hunting low over the reeds and coming toward me, but it then veered off and out of sight. I was not able to identify but felt it may have been Tawny Owl.
Then, in the distance the unmistakable sight of a Barn Owl flying back and forth for about four minutes until it also flew out of sight.
Went home high...again.

3 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

If you say hello to nature, nature will say hello to you! Is there anything else you'd like to put on the list? How many new ticks is that in the space of a week? L

Birding about Northumberland said...

I know what you mean I was high after seeing the Barn Owl last weekend....who needs drugs when there are natural wonders out there

Citybirding said...

The last 10 days have been a bit unreal with good sightings wherever we went, although after seeing the otters at Druridge Sunday morning I read 'Birding about Northumberland' that Dolphins were there in the afternoon. But that would have been greedy I suppose