Friday 6 November 2009

Sled Lane Pond

Having seen a reference to Shovelers on Sled Lane Pond I visited yesterday because I don't have a decent photo of this bird, and if they are on this pond they are never far from the camera.
As you would expect - non to be seen.
However I was able to approach this Cormorant much closer than I ever have before

The pond did also hold Wigeon, Goosander(M), Little Grebe, Canada Goose, Coot, Mute Swan, Mallard, Black Headed Gull.
The pond is next to Bradley Garden Centre and gardens which holds lots of garden birds inside their walled garden as well as a very pleasant tea room in their greenhouse.

2 comments:

Johnnykinson said...

Hi Dick
I had a trip to the Rising Sun on Thursday p.m. not even looking on Swallow as it was getting late i ventured to my personal favourites Dukes and Hadrian. There was a male and female Shoveler on Dukes pond ( the one just along from the visitor centre) and there was two males on Hadrian pond. I took some pics but only had my compact on me but were within 20 metres max. Might be worth a trip in next couple of days. You get some interesting wildfowl on these ponds in Autumn and Winter considering the amount of human traffic that passes close by.
John

Citybirding said...

Thanks for the tip Johnny, I'll give it a try
Dick