Wednesday 10 February 2010

Prestwick Carr

Was expecting to find Prestwick Carr all frozen up again when I dropped in for a short visit this afternoon.Earlier in the day for the first time ever we got the bus from home to Gosforth High Street because of the seriously icy state of the footpaths.
Not a hint of ice at the Carr, most puzzling.
Walked up the bridle path almost as far as it goes with most of the birds in the horsey field out of reach of the bins.
Ditches are quite full again and as I walked I came across 3 Buzzards (no big one) 2 Kestrel, Yellow Hammer, Long Tailed Tit, Pheasant, Mute Swan, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull,



3 comments:

Johnnykinson said...

Hi Dick
Should have bumped into you up at Prestwick this afternoon. I had planned to see the Green Woodpecker at "Muddy", which i did, then have a stroll around for an hour then pop up to Prestwick. The paths however were lethal and any surface water that lay on the grass had frozen. So i decided against going up the road thinking it may have been a skating rink, as it was the last time i was there. Surprised to hear otherwise and disappointed that i didn't bump into your good self.
John

kirstallcreatures said...

Liking the lichens lots! Funny I popped into the library in town tonight before meeting up with some pals. I picked up an interesting book on lichens and made a mental note to myself that I should pay more attention to them. Linda

Citybirding said...

I could not understand why it was not iced up since the Dinnington footpaths were, Johnny.
I did not mention the lichens since I realised I know nowt about them, so I will do a bit of reading, Linda