Monday 10 May 2010

Evening Glow

When the forecasters were predicting frost tonight I got it into my head that would mean clear skies this evening and most importantly evening sunshine which should bring a few birds onto the topmost perches for one last song.
So it came to pass and at 7.30pm I was out, and the first to be spotted was a Meadow Pipit. I had not previously realised just how long is its hind claw until I enlarged the pic.
Reed Buntings, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Linnet, were all taking up high positions in the hedgerow.
A Snipe perched on a fencepost amongst the reeded area called constantly. Canada Goose and Mallard flew over while a pair of Grey Heron wandered across a nearby field.
Wren, Blackbird and Robin scuttled through the thickets

The horizontal light seems to make the birds glow with colour.



and as I turned to go home this smasher hunted in the adjacent fields and took a rest on the fencepost

Back home for 9

2 comments:

Birding about Northumberland said...

Cracking photo's and lovely light
Michelle

Citybirding said...

Thanks Michelle, the evening light certainly adds that bit extra.
Dick