Friday 3 February 2012

Gosforth Park N.R.

My first visit to Gosforth Park N.R. for quite some time, in this afternoon's sunshine, meant that I had my first look at the new feeding station. All of those involved deserve a pat on the back.
Straight away both male and female Great Spotted Woodpecker made a visit.




Nuthatch made short but busy trips into the area.



There were loads of Blue, Great, Coal and Long Tailed Tits. Also feeding were Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Robin. At one point all of them disappeared in an instant and within a second a Sparrow Hawk shot through the area and away without a kill. It was interesting to watch the Hawk speeding away through the woodland only a few feet above the ground on the look out for its next target.

I left the hide and wandered north west through the woodland where I soon had to decide - woodland walk or lake hide. Although I had been advised that the lake was frozen I felt that that may provide the best chance of seeing something. For once -correct call.
Once into the hide and looking over to the left  there was a Bittern quite happily sunning itself in a sheltered spot.









Then from the right of the hide a strange croak call and there was a second Bittern which flew, from right to left and just a few feet above the other.




Within thirty seconds the bird in flight appeared once again from the right and once again flew over the other. (Now I'm wondering  if there were three?)
Only a small area in the centre of the lake was unfrozen and attended by Mute Swans.
Returning from the lake, Woodpeckers were hammering away and a Jay was seen calling loudly from the tree tops.
Cracking visit!

1 comment:

Northumbrian Birding said...

I was also there that day but left about 12, Fox on the ice and in the reed beds so no Bittern for me.
Brian